Alex Klingelberger is a financial professional with over a decade of experience in the industry. He holds security licenses for the Series 24, 27, 63, 7, and 79. He is also a Certified Valuation Analyst through the National Association of Certified Valuation Analysts.
Alex is the founder and managing director of Whitehawk Advisory, LLC. This boutique investment banking firm is independently managed by Alex. It specializes in advisory services revolving around mergers and acquisitions. The firm is dedicated to helping its client companies throughout the whole merger and acquisition process. These engagements typically involve several aspects and Alex’s role includes:
- Performing valuation analyses
- Defining objectives for mergers and acquisitions
- Assisting with the creation of a memorandum that clearly states rationale for the merger or acquisition
- Identifying potential strategies, buyers, and counterparties
- Managing presentations and the due diligence process
- Working with clients’ attorneys and accountants to address any issues that may arise during the process
- Negotiating the structure of the merger or acquisition transaction
- Ensuring that the transaction is beneficial to all parties involved
- Providing any further assistance to help the clients reach their objectives
Alex Klingelberger provides other financial assistance through Whitehawk Advisory. These services include:
- Corporate development
- Acquisition advisory
- Private placements
- Valuation services
Aside from working extensively with corporate finances, Alex participates in other endeavors. He regularly contributes to a broad range of charitable organizations and has made significant commitments to the Wounded Warrior Project. During his free time, he enjoys golfing and bow hunting. A family man, Alex dedicates as much time as possible to spending time with his wife and children.
Alex Klingelberger has built up his financial background since his college career. He graduated from the University of Texas at Austin in December 2000 with dual undergraduate degrees. He completed his Bachelor of Arts degree in the Plan II Honors Liberal Arts Program. Alex also attained his bachelor of business administration in the Business Honors Program.
Continuing at the University of Texas, Alex Klingelberger completed his master’s degree in professional accounting at McCombs School of Business in May 2001 by completing the prestigious Professional Program in Accounting. This program has been recognized as the number one graduate accounting program in the United States for the past 15 years. Following graduation he passed all sections of the Uniform CPA Examination in September 2001.
Alex’s affinity for working with business owners and private companies originates from one of his earliest professional experiences in working for a privately-held insurance services administrator in a Controller capacity. Given significant latitude by the company owners, Alex implemented a financial management and reporting system that assisted owners in understanding a number of significant business drivers and ultimately improving the business performance substantially. This operational role was his first opportunity to create value through providing advice and guidance to a business owner.
Following this experience, Alex transitioned to working with a non-profit events management company known as The Capital Network (TCN). TCN played an important role in Texas during the tech boom by organizing the earliest network of angel investors in order to provide a funding avenue for technology startup companies. It also produced the largest funding conferences for venture capital investors. Alex’s primary role upon joining the organization was to review and participate in the selection of companies which were applying to make funding presentations at the conferences produced by TCN. This role exposed Alex to some of the leading early stage technology companies and venture investors in Austin as a result of the extremely high volume of deal-flow which TCN received.
Approximately two years into his employment with TCN, the organization was transitioned into becoming a part of Westlake Group. Westlake Group is the parent company of Westlake Securities, an investment banking firm which went from a startup organization to becoming one of the leading investment banks in Central Texas during the time when Alex was a part of the firm. During this time, Alex managed several important functions for Westlake Securities, including managing the firm’s technology investment banking and valuation practices as well as serving as the firm’s Chief Financial Officer. As a partner in the firm, he also participated in the overall management of Westlake, including its decisions to expand into new lines of business and new geographic areas.
While at Westlake Securities, Alex participated in or led a broad range of investment banking engagements, which included:
• Private placements of equity for venture and expansion capital financing. The investors in these financings included an assortment of accredited high net worth individual investors, institutional venture capital firms, and growth-oriented private equity firms.
• Private placements of debt for acquisition financing or refinancing of existing debt. The lenders in these financings included a combination of cash flow-based and asset-based lenders, mezzanine debt providers, and venture lenders.
• Sell-side investment banking engagements in a range of industries, including technology, energy services, consumer products, manufacturing and distribution companies. Transaction types involved in these engagements were a broad variety comprised of asset sales, stock sales, sales of intellectual property, business unit divestitures and private equity recapitalizations.
• Buy-side investment banking engagements for clients including privately-held as well as Fortune 500 financial services companies.
• Fairness opinions rendered to the Boards of Directors of both private and publicly traded companies, involving transactions such as equity recapitalizations, debt recapitalizations, and public share exchanges.
Following seven years at Westlake Securities in which the firm grew personnel five-fold, Alex departed from the firm in the fourth quarter of 2009 in order to found Whitehawk Advisory. Whitehawk Advisory is a boutique investment banking firm which advises primarily technology companies in regards to mergers, acquisitions, expansion capital financings, and valuations.
Alex Klingelberger continues to improve his track record and assist with major mergers and acquisitions. Many clients have shown their appreciation for his services.
President of VI Technology Richard House stated, “Alex was the principal investment banker who represented VI Technology that resulted in an equity sale of our company. He guided us through the process from start to finish, continually providing valuable business advice and demonstrating a thorough understanding of the process and the industry. I thoroughly interviewed many investment bankers prior to choosing Alex and believe he fully lived up to my high expectations for fulfilling this critical role for our company.” Alex helped Richard sell VI Technology to Aeroflex, Inc.
InCircuit Development Corporation was sold to Constellation Software thanks to Alex’s help. Founder and CEO of InCircuit Darrin Daigle said, “Alex did a great job and I would highly recommend him! I was unfamiliar with the acquisition process, so he patiently navigated us through each step... all the way to a successful acquisition by a larger company. Alex was personable, easy to work with, and very competent. He kept our interests in mind throughout the process and his expertise made a big difference. I am very pleased with the results and highly recommend him to others!”
Over the course of his career, Alex has served several dozen companies by providing advice on financing, merger and acquisition transactions. His service to clients has resulted in more than 20 closed transactions representing close to half of a billion dollars in transaction value. The substantial majority of his clients are referred to him by prior satisfied clients or by attorneys and accountants familiar with his expertise.
Alex Klingelberger realizes that the financial industry will grow even more in the future. As the country continues to pull itself out of the recession, business owners are examining the possibility of mergers and acquisitions in order to realize some of the business value that has been created during the past several years. Companies are merging with one another in order to cut down on operational expenses and increase profitability. With the assistance of Alex Klingelberger and Whitehawk Advisory, these companies often find an increased ability to complete their mergers and acquisitions effectively.